The Glazers are finally up for selling Manchester Utd after 17 years of ownership

In a recent statement posted to the club’s official website, Manchester United and the Glazer family announced that they were looking at ‘strategic alternatives’ for future investment in the club and this could include a sale.

The Glazer Family of course took over the club in 2005, but over the past 17 years, United have suffered a decline both on and off the pitch. And with the stadium, facilities and playing squad needing significant investment, it seems that now is the time for a new direction.

Fans were happy that the possibility of the Glazers selling United had now become a reality, but now thoughts have turned to when a sale might happen and to who.

Follow along with our blog for all the latest news, quotes and reports as the story unfolds:

READ MORE : Sir Jim Ratcliffe will reportedly submit a bid for Manchester United after the club was put up for sale earlier this week.

Former Manchester United striker Teddy Sheringham has given his verdict on the takeover of Manchester United.

Amancio Ortega, the owner of the Inditex empire that owns the fashion chain Zara, is interested in buying Manchester United.

Ortega, 86, is worth $61.3billion, according to Forbes, and it is understood he has informed senior executives of his interest in United.

Technology giants Apple are also understood to be exploring a possible takeover after United’s owners, the Glazer family, confirmed they were receptive to selling the club.

According to the Daily Star, bosses at tech giant Apple are considering a £5.8bn bid for Manchester United. With an annual turnover of £326bn and an estimated net worth of £2 trillion, this would make United far and away the richest club in the world.

Apple CEO Tim Cooke is open to exploring a deal and will line up talks with the Raine Group, who United have appointed to oversee negotiations.

After months of speculation, it seems with Manchester United officially up for sale, Jim Ratcliffe will now make a bid for the club in the near future. Though he is not the only interested party.

Also in his interview with Sky News, Avram Glazer responded to Cristiano Ronaldo’s claims that the owners ‘don’t care about the club’ and focus mainly on ‘marketing’

Outside his Florida home, Manchester United co-owner Avram Glazer explained to Sky News why the decision had been taken to put the club up for sale alongside looking for other investments.

The 62-year-old commented on why the decision had come now but also why the Glazers hadn’t explored this option earlier in their tenure.

This is the Manchester Evening News live blog delivering you all the latest news about the potential sale of Manchester United by the Glazer Family.

Cristiano Ronaldo is a free agent after his contract at Manchester United was mutually terminated; Saudi Arabia’s Al-Hilal are interested in signing the 37-year-old; Ronaldo revealed earlier this month that he turned down a £305m Saudi Arabia move in the summer

Ronaldo is a free agent after his Manchester United contract was mutually terminated earlier this week, in the wake of his interview with TalkTV where he criticised the club, its owners and manager Erik ten Hag.

The forward is currently playing in the World Cup with Portugal and scored in their World Cup opener against Ghana on Wednesday.

United received an offer for Ronaldo from Saudi Arabia in the summer and were willing to accept the bid, only for the deal to eventually fall through.

In the interview with TalkTV, Ronaldo says he rejected the move, which was worth around £305m.

The news comes after Saudi Arabia sports minister Prince Abdulaziz bin Turki Al-Faisal revealed the country wants to bring Ronaldo to its domestic league – as well as take over Manchester United and Liverpool, who are both seeking new investors.

“Who wouldn’t want him to play in their league?” Prince Abdulaziz told Sky News about bringing Ronaldo to Saudi Arabian football. “He’s a role model to a lot of young players – him and Messi.”

If Al-Hilal can get a deal for Ronaldo done, they will listen to offers for striker Odion Ighalo, who used to play at Manchester United and whose contract is up in the summer.

Ronaldo scored Portugal’s first goal as they started their World Cup campaign with a 3-2 win over Ghana. The 37-year-old insisted that nothing other than Portugal’s World Cup campaign matters to him right now.

This was a beautiful moment,” Ronaldo said. “The world record, the only player to score in five World Cups, makes me very proud.

“It was a week that finished this chapter (with United),” Ronaldo added. “It is closed and now I want to start with the good foot forward. We started, we won, I want to help my team and all the rest does not matter.”

“Unfortunately, it’s not the kind of club Ronaldo would have wanted to come in for him. Just as the termination happened with Manchester United and the interview he gave, it was very, very clear that Ronaldo sees his future still at the top end of the European game.

“He wants to extend his Champions League legacy – that’s the reason he was trying to push out of Man Utd in the first place over the summer. That is the goal, that is the key.

“Whether he has to settle for something else, that waits to be seen. But the club that has come in for him won’t be a surprise in Saudi Arabia’s Al-Hilal.

“They were the only team to put in a formal offer for him over the summer – one which he rejected and United were willing to accept.

“Ronaldo did not want to go to Saudi Arabia – because he is convinced he still has a lot to prove in Europe and in the Champions League.”

In the TalkTV interview, Ronaldo hit back at claims that clubs are too fearful to make a bid for him due to his status in football, hinting he has many offers for a new club.

“Let’s be honest, who is the most expensive salary player in the Premier League ever in history? It’s me, even at 37 years old,” he said.

“They [the media] even offered me to Sporting [Lisbon] or Napoli. I will be honest with you, I didn’t have many, many clubs but I have many, many offers of the other clubs. But what the press keep saying, the garbage, is that nobody wants me, which is completely wrong.

“And I was happy here [at United] to be honest, I was motivated to do a great season here [at United]. But they continue to repeat that nobody wants Cristiano.

“How [do they not] want a player who last year scored 32 goals last year, [including] with the national team?”

Ronaldo’s contract at United was terminated this week, with the Glazer family who own the Premier League club reportedly furious at the 37-year-old’s claims in the interview.

The Portugal international said he felt “betrayed” by the club, which the Glazers do not care about, adding that United have “stopped on a clock” in terms of progression and investment in infrastructure.

Speaking to Sky News, United co-owner Avram Glazer refused to be drawn on the striker’s claim – echoed by many fans – that his family “don’t care about the club”.

He told Sky News: “Well, I’ll tell you about Cristiano Ronaldo – he’s a great Manchester United player, I appreciate everything he’s done for the club and I wish him the best luck in the future.”

The Glazers have since released a statement saying they are open to selling United, but they could also remain in charge of the club and seek new investors instead.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *