Liverpool have been long-term admirers of Jude Bellingham and there will be no doubt that the powers at Anfield would have been watching the teenage sensation in England’s World Cup opener against Iran yesterday, with a transfer update emerging following the game.
What’s the latest?
CBS reporter Ben Jacobs took to Twitter after England thrashed Iran 6-2 to reveal the latest on Bellingham’s potential move away from Borussia Dortmund, naming Liverpool as “frontrunners”.
“Dortmund planning for a summer 2023 departure. Liverpool and Real Madrid are the frontrunners but it’s an open race. Erling Haaland has already told him to join Manchester City.”
Already a superstar
It is without a doubt that Bellingham was the standout performer in England’s clash with Iran in Qatar on Monday afternoon with the midfielder superstar breaking World Cup records on his debut in the prestigious international tournament.
Not only did the 19-year-old midfielder become the second youngest England goal-scorer in a World Cup just behind Michael Owen, but Bellingham also became the first player born after 2000 to score in a World Cup.
Gareth Southgate will be thrilled with the young talent’s performance and there is no doubt that he will be a regular feature in the England squad as they challenge in the competition, especially when you consider his dominance in the centre of the pitch against Iran.
He also made one key pass and completed 92 passes throughout his 90-minute performance, as well as taking 113 touches and completing 100% of his dribble attempts in a remarkable display.
Furthermore, he was a rock defensively, making three tackles and winning six out of his eight duels. It’s safe to say this was the complete performance.
Supporters of Liverpool will be hoping that Jurgen Klopp was keeping a close eye on the outstanding midfielder during his England display yesterday as the Reds will have tight competition to secure Bellingham’s signature over the coming months.
Liverpool are in desperate need of midfield reinforcements after struggling in the Premier League this season so far, with Naby Keita, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and James Milner all out of contract in June 2023. As a result, there is no doubt that reinvestment in the team is becoming an absolute necessity for the club.
With that being said, FSG must sanction a move for Bellingham but they will have to prepare themselves to dig deep into their funds to secure the reported £129m-valued midfielder as he could provide Liverpool with a world-class talent for years to come.