Liverpool were unable to demolish Crystal Palace in a 0-0 draw in the Premier League on Saturday night with Michael Owen tearing the Reds apart and Jurgen Klopp defending Trent Alexander-Arnold
Liverpool’s miserable week ended in a 0-0 draw against Crystal Palace in the Premier League on Saturday night – and Jurgen Klopp’s side have come under fire.
After sending five goals at home to Real Madrid in the Anfield disaster in midweek, the Reds tightened up at Selhurst Park but were unable to crush Patrick Vieira’s side. Trent Alexander-Arnold was among those criticized as he came off in the second half while Michael Owen slammed the midfield options at his former club.
Here is an overview of all the latest news from Anfield in reaction to the continuing disappointing season and attention focused on a summer rebuild under Klopp’s tutelage.
Owen’s scathing assessment
Former Liverpool striker Michael Owen issued a scathing assessment of his old team’s midfield options following more points lost in the 0-0 draw at Crystal Palace.
“That’s also an area [of midfield] that will change soon,” he told Premier League production. “James Milner can’t stick around forever. Jordan Henderson can’t last forever. I think that area of the pitch will need a bit of surgery and I think it will be in the summer – everyone can see that. Jurgen Klopp can see it.
“People are talking about the age of the midfield there, whether Milner or Henderson should be replaced. They are still their best players there – people say they are too old, but they are still the best players.
“Fabinho has been mediocre this season. Very mediocre. Harvey Elliott, when he came on in the first half he gave the ball away more than he kept. Naby Keita is not good enough for a midfielder, in my opinion, to Liverpool. It’s okay for the fans to say, ‘we need to change Henderson, we need to change Milner and get a new lad in’.”
Klopp defends Trent
Trent Alexander-Arnold was substituted against Crystal Palace to manage his workload and is not suffering from a lack of confidence, according to Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp.
Asked in his post-match press conference about the decision, Klopp said: “Trent played all the games for us and before the game we were thinking if it would be one game too many for him but he started. The reason is purely because of that.”
Klopp then offered an impassioned defense of Alexander-Arnold when asked if he suffered from a lack of confidence. “NO. In the few games we won, he was one of our players who was much, much, much better,” he said.
“Trent Alexander-Arnold, when he doesn’t perform, everyone talks about it. When he does, nobody talks about it other than when he’s involved in goals. He made a super goal in the last two league matches. He is fine. That’s just the number of games. We took him off and he will have one more day to rest and he will be fine again.”
Fowler provides suggestions for rebuilding
Michael Owen isn’t the only former Liverpool striker to say a rebuild is needed.
Writing exclusively in his Sunday Mirror column, Robbie Fowler outlines the need for major changes to get his former club back on track.
Fowler wrote: “I agree with Jurgen Klopp that he needs a rebuild this summer, with at least four players – and quite possibly more – needed.
“But I can’t help but think it has to be better than the transfer business they have done in the last year if they are to get back to the incredible levels Liverpool enjoyed for the majority of their time under him.”